Eindhoven University of Technology ‘TU/e’ EU representative – Technische Universiteit Eindhoven (TU/e)
We are looking for a
Eindhoven University of Technology ‘TU/e’ EU representative
TU/e is a leading international university of technology specializing in Engineering Science & Technology. Through excellent education and research, we contribute to progress in the technical sciences, to the development of technological innovations, and as a result to the growth of prosperity and welfare in the region and beyond. TU/e maintains close links with industry, government and knowledge institutes in societally relevant areas such as healthcare, mobility and energy.
As an internationally recognized excellent university, TU/e will increase the amount of collaborations with top partners from science and industry at the European and global level and will be actively participating in major (funding) initiatives and programs. In the period 2020-2025, we will focus first on improving our leadership, visibility and recognition in Europe. We will invest in a more pro-active attitude, a stronger presence and a more leading role in projects/programs, accompanied by enhanced communication and strategic partnering to strengthen our reputation in which TU/e’s EU representative is leading on behalf of and in support of the Board of Management.
The EU representative will formally report to the university’s Office for Strategic Industry and Government Affairs ‘SIG’. SIG leads, in close cooperation with and in support of the board, the development of TU/e’s strategic networks in politics, government and industry where impact (innovation) is paramount.
Alongside the TU/e colleagues who are responsible for regional, national, international and industry networks, the EU representative is specifically responsible for leading and executing the visibility and positioning of TU/e in Brussels by developing and maintaining the TU/e network with EU’s strategy and policy developing institutions (EP, EC, Interest Groups). On specific dossiers he/she will also be involved in the direction of TU/e’s involvement in EU policy developments at mentioned institutions.
The Representative works in close cooperation with colleagues in SIG and the Board of TU/e as well as director of International Affairs, directors of Scientific Institutes, TU/e Research support staff and Brussels offices of TU/e’s strategic partners and networks such as the Brainport EU representation, various industry representations (Philips, ASML, NXP, Signify a.o.), Government representations (Office of the Provinces, Embassy), Science Business, EuroTech, K4I and others. As the job involves regular (weekly) presence in Brussels, a work place in Brussels center is available at TU/e’s Brussels office (shared with Brainport Development, City of Eindhoven and the province of Brabant).
Responsibilities and tasks
- First and foremost: building policy related networks with relevant research, innovation and education stakeholders in Brussels, at institutions of the European Commission, Parliament and interest groups, and with TU/e’s strategic partners and/or coalition partners involved in the execution of our EU affairs agenda (Brainport, industry, EuroTech, S|B, etcetera).
- Prepare, organize and execute visits of EU officials to TU/e and vice versa. Organize direct logistical support to these visits (to be executed by the Events & Visits manager of SIG).
- Create opportunities for TU/e to present its science, education and innovation in Brussels working with our scientists, student teams, direct colleagues and the board, and organize.
- Act as the Brussels liaison (‘first contact point’) for key stakeholders in TU/e, including management, scientists and administrative staff, in which cooperation with our Brussels based EuroTech alliance office will be very instrumental.
- Co-creating, -leading and -executing the EU affairs agenda of TU/e in a close cooperation with and in support of our Director international affairs and TU/e’s Board, in particular the President.
- On specific dossiers: monitoring developments in Brussels relevant to the execution of TU/e’s EU affairs agenda and support in directing our TU/e staff in actions that contribute to the agenda’s objectives. Also: provide relevant EU policy intelligence to the board and (on their behalf) to key stakeholders in TU/e, a.o. by preparing regular briefings to the board of TU/e on EU policy affairs.
- MSc or MA level.
- Experience in working with EU (preferably) research policy bodies and a thorough knowledge of the European and Dutch research & innovation and education policies.
- 5+ years of experience on the European level.
- An existing network of contacts in Brussels at the relevant European bodies.
- Knowledge of academia and industry stakeholders within the innovation ecosystem and good understanding of the functioning of industry and universities.
- Willing to travel to Brussels about once a week.
- Has full working-proficiency in English. Dutch would be useful (or willingness to learn).
- Communicate clearly and precisely both orally and in writing and build consensus to achieve results. Analysis and problem solving: Identify the critical facts in complex issues and develop creative and practical solutions.
- Work co-operatively with others in teams and across organisational boundaries and respect differences between people; create a sense of team spirit by encouraging shared goals and exchange of knowledge and experience.
- Ability to prioritize the most important tasks, work flexibly and organise own and others’ workload efficiently. Has a proven ability to deliver outputs to the agreed deadlines.
- Take personal responsibility and initiative for delivering work to a high standard quality within set procedures; show clear customer orientation (internal and external); build systematic and methodical processes into projects and work of self and own team.
- Remain effective under work pressure, be flexible and adapt to a changing work environment (including remote working); encourage others to do the same and adjust own and team’s approach to embrace changing circumstances.
- Proactively work with people and teams to achieve results.
- Working environment: demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural and/or international environment.
The TU/e offers you a position within a dynamic university with a strong focus on new forms of cooperation, both nationally and internationally. The function also offers a high degree of diversity and independence within the team. This vacancy concerns a full-time position (with an availability of at least 32 hours, preferably more).
The TU/e offers:
- Working at an inspiring campus where we work for the benefit of humanity and where you have plenty of room for personal development and growth.
- The salary is in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement of the Dutch Universities and depending on education and work experience, salary scale 12 (depending on training, knowledge, and experience) with a minimum of € 4.814,- and maximum € 6.181,- (CAO-NU).
- We offer a one-year contract, with prospect of permanent position.
- An attractive package of fringe benefits, including excellent work facilities, extra holiday allowance 8% in May, end-of-year bonus of 8.3% in December and 41 holidays per year.
An assessment can be part of the application process.
- For more information about the content of the function and the work:
- Clement Goossens, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For questions about the working conditions, please contact the HR Services department,
- 040 – 247 4486, e-mail: HRServices.SupportUnits@tue.nl.
Your cover letter and CV can be sent digitally by using the application button.
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.